Aun-Yeong Chong, MD, is a staff interventional cardiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa.
He studied medicine at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. He furthered his training in the United Kingdom and gained his MRCP(UK) in 2001. He went on to do research at the Haemostasis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Unit, City Hospital, Birmingham, UK and earned his Doctorate in Medicine in 2006 from the University of Birmingham with his thesis “Endothelial Function in Congestive Heart Failure.” He completed his cardiology training in West Midlands, UK. In addition, he completed a fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute from 2008-09 as part of his subspecialty training.
He was a consultant interventional cardiologist in the UK from 2010 until his appointment as staff cardiologist at the Heart Institute in June 2013.
Dr. Chong’s clinical interests include percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) of chronic total occlusions, intravascular imaging, coronary physiology and transradial PCI.
His research interests include transradial PCI, invasive measurement of coronary physiology, thrombosis and endothelial progenitor cell biology.
See current publications list at PubMed.
- A pharmacodynamic comparison of a personalized strategy for anti-platelet therapy versus ticagrelor in achieving a therapeutic windowMalhotra N, Abunassar J, Wells GA, McPherson R, Fu A, Hibbert B, Labinaz M, Le May M, Dick A, Glover C, Froeschl M, Marquis JF, Tran L, Bernick J, Chong AY, So DY; CArdiovascular Percutaneous Intervention TriAL (CAPITAL) investigators.Int J Cardiol. 2015 Oct 15;197:318-25.
- Prophylactic warfarin therapy after primary percutaneous coronary intervention for anterior ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction Le May MR, Acharya S, Wells GA, Burwash I, Chong AY, So DY, Glover CA, Froeschl MP, Hibbert B, Marquis JF, Dick A, Blondeau M, Bernick J, Labinaz M. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015 Jan;8(1 Pt B):155-62.
- Ticagrelor for the treatment of peripheral arterial disease. Chong AY, So DY.Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2014 Dec;23(12):1737-43.
- Impact of access site selection and operator expertise on radiation exposure: a controlled prospective study. Lo TS, Ratib K, Chong AY, Bhatia G, Gunning M, Nolan J. Am Heart J. 2012 Oct;164(4):455-61. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2012.06.011.
- Unprotected left main coronary artery stenting with zotarolimus (Endeavor) drug-eluting stents: a single center retrospective experience. Simard T, Hibbert B, Chong AY, Ruchin P, Le May M, Labinaz M, Froeschl M, So D, Glover C, Marquis JF, O'Brien E. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2012 Aug 1;80(2):E15-22.
- Biomarkers of endothelial dysfunction are elevated and related to prognosis in chronic heart failure patients with diabetes but not in those without diabetes. Kistorp C, Chong AY, Gustafsson F, Galatius S, Raymond I, Faber J, Lip GY, Hildebrandt P. Eur J Heart Fail. 2008 Apr;10(4):380-7.
- Influence of atrial fibrillation on plasma von willebrand factor, soluble E-selectin, and N-terminal pro B-type natriuretic peptide levels in systolic heart failure. Freestone B, Gustafsson F, Chong AY, Corell P, Kistorp C, Hildebrandt P, Lip GY.Chest. 2008 May;133(5):1203-8.
- Assessment of single versus twice daily dosing of ramipril by ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in patients similar to those included in the HOPE study. Goyal D, Chong AY, Watson RL, Prasad N, Watson RD. J Hum Hypertens. 2007 Jul;21(7):525-30.
- Plasma angiopoietin-1, angiopoietin-2 and angiopoietin receptor tie-2 levels in congestive heart failure. Chong AY, Caine GJ, Freestone B, Blann AD, Lip GY. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004 Feb 4;43(3):423-8.
- Endothelial activation, dysfunction, and damage in congestive heart failure: relation of flow-mediated dilation to circulating endothelial cells, plasma indexes of endothelial damage, and brain natriuretic peptide. Chong AY, Freestone B, Patel J, Lim HS, Hughes E, Blann AD, Lip GY. Am J Cardiol. 2006 Mar 1;97(5):671-5.