Lisa Mielniczuk, MD, is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa and a Cardiologist and Clinician Investigator at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. In addition, Dr. Mielniczuk is the Director of the Heart Failure Program and Medical Director of the Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic. Dr. Mielniczuk co-leads the Ottawa region strategic research Innovation Cluster on Heart Failure.
Dr. Mielniczuk graduated medical school from McMaster University in 1998 and then completed internal medicine training at Queen’s University in Kingston and a cardiology residency at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. Following her cardiology training, Dr. Mielniczuk pursed a fellowship in heart failure and cardiac transplantation at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston and a Masters of Science Degree in Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics from the Harvard School of Public Health.
Dr. Mielniczuk serves on a grant peer review panel for the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, and research committee for the Heart Failure Society of America. She is a committee member for the Medical Advisory Committee for Pulmonary Hypertension Association of Canada and the Canadian Thoracic Society Pulmonary Vascular Disease Steering committee. She is also an invited member of the Heart Failure Task Force for the Cardiac Care Network of Ontario, and has served as a heart failure expert for Health Quality Ontario.
Dr. Mielniczuk currently holds clinical and translational science grants from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada evaluating right ventricular metabolism in pulmonary hypertension. She is also co-investigator of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research IMAGE HEART FAILURE Team Grant and co-investigator on studies evaluating cardiac energetics using C-11-acetate in patients with heart failure and sleep apnea being randomized to CPAP vs. standard therapy. She has published her work in such journals as Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging, Circulation, American Journal of Cardiology and Journal of Nuclear Medicine.
Dr. Mielniczuk is the Director of the Heart Failure Program in Ottawa, the Medical Director of the Cardiac Transplant Program and the Medical Director of the Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic. Her clinical time is spent in the evaluation, diagnosis and management of patients with advanced heart disease, in addition to attending in the coronary care unit. Dr. Mielniczuk is leading the development of a regional heart failure program in the Ottawa area and Champlain LHIN.
Dr. Mielniczuk is a heart failure specialist with a specific interest in evaluating metabolic adaptation in right heart failure and pulmonary hypertension (PAH). Dr. Mielniczuk’s research interests include clinical outcomes related to heart failure and pulmonary hypertension and the evaluation of myocardial energetics in right heart failure.
- Ahmadi A, Ohira H, Mielniczuk LM. FDG PET imaging for identifying pulmonary hypertension and right heart failure. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2015 Jan;17(1):555.
- Mielniczuk LM, Swiston JR, Mehta S. Riociguat: a novel therapeutic option for pulmonary arterial hypertension and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Can J Cardiol. 2014 Oct;30(10):1233-40
- Mielniczuk LM, Chandy G, Stewart D, Contreras-Dominguez V, Haddad H, Pugliese C, Davies RA. Worsening renal function and prognosis in pulmonary hypertension patients hospitalized for right heart failure. Congest Heart Fail. 2012 May-Jun;18(3):151-7.
- Mitoff PR, Beauchesne L, Dick AJ, Chow BJ, Beanlands RS, Haddad H, Mielniczuk LM. Imaging the failing right ventricle. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2012 Mar;27(2):148-53.
- Mielniczuk LM, Birnie D, Ziadi MC, deKemp RA, DaSilva JN, Burwash I, Tang AT, Davies RA, Haddad H, Guo A, Aung M, Williams K, Ukkonen H, Beanlands RS. Relation between right ventricular function and increased right ventricular [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose accumulation in patients with heart failure. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011 Jan;4(1):59-66
- Reinglas J, Haddad H, Davies RA, Mielniczuk L. Cardiorenal syndrome and heart failure. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2010 Mar;25(2):141-7. Review
- Mielniczuk LM, Haddad H, Davies RA. Ultrafiltration in the management of acute decompensated heart failure. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2010 Mar;25(2):155-60.Review
- Mielniczuk LM, Baughman KL. Evaluation of Patients for Ventricular Dysfunction and Heart Failure. In: Textbook of Chronic Heart Failure. Editors: Patterson H, Adams Kirkwood. For Publication 2009.
- Mielniczuk LM, Tsang SW, Desai AS, Nohria A, Fang JC, Baughman KL, Stevenson LW, Givertz, MM. The association between high dose diuretics and clinical stability in ambulatory chronic heart failure patients. J Card Fail. 2008;14(5):388-393.
- Mielniczuk LM, Pfeffer MA, Lewis EF, Blazing M, DeLemos JA, Mohanavelu S, Califf R, Braunwald E. Estimated glomerular filtration rate, inflammation and cardiovascular events following an acute coronary syndrome. Am Heart J. 2008; 155(4):725-31.